Tuesday, February 3, 2009

WHAT A RELIEF!

I really do not like the unknown. With layoffs and furloughs looming in the future, I was worried about taxes, owing state and not getting much from federal...but I am happy to report that I have filed both my federal and state income tax returns!!! And it turned out better than expected. It's a great relief to have that behind me.

I was a little bummed that Derek's company froze annual merits this year; especially after all of his hard work and dedication. If anyone deserves a raise, it is him. He has worked so much unreported overtime (and doesn't get paid for it anyway), and we have altered our plans several times around trips to vendors and other plants for his work. ((He's working right now, 10 pm on a Tuesday)) He constantly goes above and beyond the normal duties of his job. Fortunately his bosses recognize his contribution, so hopefully someday that will work in his favor.

On the other hand, it looks like my company will still be giving out merits, in addition to a small bonus for meeting some company goals in a very challenging year. I am hoping for a bonus big enough to buy a Wii. We are saving our tax refund, and any extra salary increase I get will just go to cost of living, so I have decided to surprise Derek with the Wii if the bonus is enough. So far, it's looking pretty good.

No comments: