When Derek and I decided to move a few years ago, we were drawn to Maize and Goddard for their school systems. About a year ago, I discovered that Maize is one of the few districts that is parent-choice, as opposed to neighborhood; something many parents love about the district.
It just happens that Alex is entering the school system during a year of change, with schools closing for remodels, a new school being built, and another school changing from a middle school to a high school.
What this means to us is that in 2 months we will have to decide which elementary school to send Alex to. So why am I a little stressed out? Depending on which elementary school I choose will determine what track Alex is put on -- which middle school and which high school she will attend. The high school that exists now is a 6A school, the school that will be formed is going to be a 4A school. There are many benefits and possible disadvantages of either decision, and by the way, whatever I choose for Alex, Lauren will automatically follow the same track. It might be possible to change from the "small track" to the "big track" but probably not the opposite due to the decreased number of slots available.
I know alot can happen in a decade. By the time she is in high school, it will most likely grow to a larger division school if the current population explosion continues, but it's a difficult position to be in...do I choose the smaller schools where all of her friends from preschool, soccer and family friends are going? Or the larger school with possibly more athletic opportunity? And who knows what academic programs will even be at the school that doesn't exist.
Tomorrow we begin Kindergarten Connection -- a kindergarten orientation program for the kids to help make the transition a smooth one. I am hoping to take the opportunity to meet and connect with other parents with first born children going through this transitional year and discuss this more to help make the most informed decision I can for the girls.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment