Friday, April 10, 2009

KINDERGARTEN CONNECTION

We are part of a kindergarten orientation program called Kindergarten Connection. Maize is one of the few districts that have this. Each month the kids are dropped off and introduced to different parts of the school. For example, one session is focused on PE/gym and music, one session is to meet the nurse and counselors, one session is to ride a bus, and there are tours of the school.

This program gives the children a chance to meet some new friends, as well as get familiar with the schools and teachers, and get used to being dropped off at school in order to reduce their anxiety. Alex has had a wonderful time in the program and both of us have made new friends as a result.

Today, Derek and I were Parent Volunteers. We were part of a tour of Maize Central, where I want to enroll the girls. We volunteered so we could see the school as well as Alex, since enrollment is a week away.

Needless to say, I was very impressed. Impressed with the teachers, the facilities, the technology. I can't wait for them to start school there. Here are some photos I took of the activities that went on at the school:

Learning the 4 rules of riding on the bus from Assistant Principal Mr. White.



Doing an activity on the Promethean Board with counselor Mrs. Stucky.



Principal Mr. Jennings reading a story about Clifford going to school.



Playing a ball catching game and then duck duck goose with counselor Mr. Slade.



No comments: